Historical and Genealogical Notes (1895)
JEAN PASTEUR was a native of Geneva and came to Virginia in 1700, in the Huguenot emigration, with “Charles Pasteur and sa femme.” – Virginia Historical Collections, Vol. V., New Series. He settled at Williamsburg, Va., and practiced his profession of surgery, calling himself “barber and wigmaker”.
“In the seventeenth century the medical man, or, as he was termed, the practitioner of physic, was required to serve his time as ‘an apprentice and servant’ for seven years, under a physician or in the apothecary’s company. Nor could any one practice surgery until he had served a like apprenticeship in the barbers-surgeons’ company, where the making of wigs was a part of his training, with cupping, leeching, and the healing of wounds. Sir Astley Cooper, the eminent English surgeon, was an apprentice to his company. On the continent the same law prevailed. Ambrose Pare’, the great French surgeon (1517-1590), began life as apprentice to a barber-surgeon. In the Prussian army early in the eighteenth century it fell to the regimental surgeon to shave the officers.” – Hayden. But the times change and we change with them. Once everybody considered the post of justice of the peace an office of first respectability, now it is viewed with a kind of good-natured contempt. 1. JEAN (OR JOHN) PASTUER married 1st Mary(1) ——-, died March 25, 1727; 2d, Martha Harris, and had issue: 2, Mary, born in 1706, mar. Mark Cosby; 3, Magdalene, md. Samuel Cosby; 4, Lucretia, married Matthew Schields; 5, John, Jr., died June 2, 1727 – Bruton Register; 6, John, Sr., died 1728. – Ibid.; 7, John James, “perukemaker, eldest son of Jean Pasteur”, lived in Norfolk in 1746. – Deed in York County Court. 8, Sarah, died Dec. 17, 1734 – Register. 9, James, “Died Jan. 24, 1774, Rev.James Pasteur, rector of St. Bride’s Parish, in Norfolk County.” – Virginia GAzette. 10, Blouette; 11, William; 12, Martha; 13, Anne. Jean Pasteur’s will was proved in York court, Nov. 16, 1741, and mentions 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. It does not mention 7, John James Pasteur. 11, 12 and 13 were children by last wife.
DR. WILLIAM PASTEUR lived in Williamsburg, and was partner with Dr. George Gilmer, as surgeon and apothecary. He was highly esteemed J.P. of York county, married Elizabeth, daughter of William Stith, President of William and Mary College, and had 12, William Stith Pasteur, b. Nov. 12, 1762, and perhaps others. In 1785, Dr. Pasteur advertised for sale 630 acres on King’s Creek, having on it “a large elegant, two story brick house, with nine rooms and ten closets”, suitable “for a large, opulent family.” It had been sold to him in 1773, by John Wormeley, of Lancaster county, who inherited it from his mother, Elizabeth Wormeley, of Middlesex. – York County Records.
Source: William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 4. (Apr., 1895), pp. 273-281.